Ducati new generation aircooled L-twins
Restricted to the desmo-head the following has been “restyled”:
- Complete new casting (cast by gravity resulting in a better crystal structure)
- Larger valves 45 mm (intake) and 40 mm (exhaust) means improved breathing
- Narrower valve angle (from 60 to 56 degrees) means improved valve seat and desmodromic timing part arrangement, which now operates with improved geometries
- Decreased valve stem diameters (from 8 mm to 7 mm)
- Reshaped combustion chamber
- New designed valve seats made from beryllium bronze (less wear and better heat dissipation)
- Twin spark/double ignition (considerably improves combustion)
- New (hollow and lighter) camshafts turning in plain sliding friction bearings
BIKE September 2002 p. 26-27 (News section): “Ducati breathes life into air-cooled range”
The site of Ducati.com: section “Ducati Technical” : the article of Stefano Bianucci “The pompone legend continues with the new 1000 DS”
MO nr. 12 Dezember 2002 p. 14-23: Ducati Monster 1000S : neuer Zweizylinder von Joerg Lohse and Jo Soppa
22-01-2003 is the publication date of the European Patent application EP1277921.
Applicant is Ducati Motor Holding SPA (IT) and inventor is Gianluigi Mengoli. [See three of the 14 patent pics].
[Classification = Group 6 A]